31.25 hours per week, term time only (39 weeks per year including CPD days)
Salary: Kent Range 5: £18.059 - £19,863
Actual salary for 31.25 hours per week, 39 weeks of the year £12,870.63 - £14,156.34.
Cover Supervisors are an essential part of any team within the school. They both cover lessons at short notice and from time-to-time take on longer cover assignments. They have to confidently carry out lessons which cover the entire curriculum, from English to Science and Music to DT. Cover Supervisors need to be able to work closely with the Heads of Departments, who must ensure that the Cover Supervisor has sufficient information to deliver the lesson and make the experience meaningful for the students
The role of the Cover Supervisor involves the supervision of pupils in learning activities, ensuring that the learning objectives set by the teacher are achieved and that good behaviour by the students is maintained throughout lessons. Appropriate records are to be maintained as required; enabling accurate feedback to be given to the teachers and pupils on the conduct of the lessons. Cover Supervisors provide support for the Student Services and Administration teams when they are not covering lessons.
The role of the team is to provide professional and effective support for teaching within any curriculum area. The aim is to enable the delivery of quality lessons within a safe environment so that students’ learning is improved.
Support-staff in schools make a strong contribution to students’ learning and achievement. Cover Supervisors provide support within any curriculum area to benefit student learning and teacher efficiency. To keep abreast of developments in your key areas, to think creatively and constructively to ensure that the job is done in the most effective and time efficient way.
- Register form groups when required.
- Refer to the daily cover programme.
- Note the subject lesson and location where cover is required.
- Arrive punctually for the beginning of cover lessons.
- Register the teaching group.
- Supervise the subject work that has been set and issue appropriate directions and ensure the students remain on task.
- Respond to any questions from students about appropriate processes/procedures to adopt.
- Manage the classroom environment including the behaviour of students and use of resources.
- Deal with any unforeseen circumstances/emergencies immediately.
- Ensure students know if homework has been set.
- Report back to subject teachers by written comments and/or personal contact.
- Shadow PGCE students/GTP personnel when requested.
- To work effectively as a Cover Supervisor to support the teaching and learning of all students. They will contribute to, and need to demonstrate skills in, planning, monitoring, assessment and class management.
- To work as part of the school team and contribute to plans to ensure the school meets its aims.
- To work within the relevant policies, code of practice and legislation reporting any concerns to the appropriate person.
- Use good communication skills to be able to inform, persuade, inspire and motivate pupils and provide feedback to other professionals and parents as required.
- Be familiar with, and comply with a full range of policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety, security and confidentiality reporting all concerns to an appropriate person to ensure students’ well-being.
- Contribute to the overall work/aims of the school and appreciate and support the role of colleagues and other professionals to enable the school to fulfil its development plans.
- Undertake training and other learning activities and attend relevant meetings (within contracted hours) as required to ensure own continuing professional development.
To access our job pack and to apply, please visit our website