Database Administrator - SQL Azure
Database Administrator - SQL Azure
Up to £50k
Benefits: BUPA. Pension, Death in Service, Cycle to Work Scheme and Travel Loan Scheme
Our client's Network Operations team are expanding and require an experienced Database Administrator to join a team currently consisting of two full time DBAs and four Systems & Network Engineers who support the production systems 24/7.
The candidate will be a key player in helping to deploy advanced scalable database solutions into production environments while also fulfilling a more traditional role of a DBA by looking after the data contained within, providing recommendations on best practices and ensuring everyday tasks like indexing and backups are all completed in a timely manner.
The candidate should have a general interest in all database technologies and be willing to learn how to use and support the databases that they currently have deployed. The candidate will be part of a team responsible for the design, deployment and maintenance of MSSQL and NoSQL systems deployed into highly secure Production and Pre-Production environments.
On a day-to-day basis the candidate will be responsible for maintaining healthy databases with availability well in excess of 99.999% uptime and will seek to identify and resolve potential issues before they become a problem. The candidate will work closely with development teams, support all areas of the business from a ticketing system and be required to adhere to a strict change management process.
- Proactively support the team in identifying issues and performing resolution
- Operational scale and efficiency of all database technologies
- Support all database technologies
- Ensure the quality and accuracy of all data contained within the databases
- Produce clear and meaningful reports
- Create, maintain and execute in-depth Transact-SQL, Stored Procedures, Tables, Views
- Identify and resolve query and index performance tuning issues
- Create database backups, validate restores and monitor replication
- Where required through external and internal training obtain the skills to support the following: MongoDB, Cassandra, Elasticsearch
- Production and upkeep of frequent and ad hoc reports
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Experience and deep understanding of SQL Azure, SQL Server 2012 and above
- A-Level education or above in an IT-related discipline
- Degree level education to 2:1 or above in an IT-related discipline
- MTA / MCSA / MCSE or equivalent in any SQL Server discipline
- Any MongoDB, Cassandra or ElasticSearch experience
SKILLS & VALUES
- Highly organised
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with technical and non-technical employees
- Remain calm in stressful situations
- Clear understanding and following of strict change management procedures
- Ability to manage multiple high priority items at once
- Willingness to learn and step outside of comfort zones
- Tenacious issue resolution
- Strong problem solving and analytics skills
- Attention to detail
- Logically minded
- Database release management techniques
The role is based in our Maidstone office however the need may arise to travel and visit other office locations within the UK and beyond.
The hours of work are 37.5 hours per week to cover the hours of 09.00-17.30 Monday to Friday, however the role offered is to be part of a team supporting the production environment 24/7 so will start with being included in an "On-Call" shift rota which will require some weekend and evening work. It is likely that in the near future, the team will develop into working an on-site shift pattern covering 24/7, so whilst this is not an immediate requirement, candidates applying for the role must be prepared to adopt a shift pattern in future that will require being at work at all times of day and night on a shift rota basis.