Cloud Systems Administrator
Cloud Systems Administrator
You are a highly service-oriented Cloud SysAdmin who can systematically raise our client's cloud system's reliability and responsiveness through discipline and design.
Our client's projects and services tend to be big and complicated, data-oriented, often with high security demands and thus the cloud system requirements are onerous. Working with Cloud Architects, the Cloud SysAdmin plays a high-profile role in maintaining, delivering and continuously improving the services.
The platforms managed by our client are currently at Amazon, Rackspace, Azure and others, including a small number of on-premise applications that are in scope.
The role includes the challenge of dealing with the ‘people’ factor and the wide variety of national and corporate cultures that are met in daily business. You will need to draw on a breadth of communication skills to ensure the service users and customers feel meets and exceeds their expectations.
Working with Cloud Architects, your mission is to drive quality up, drive waste out and drive risk down. The role requires applying discipline and process in an enabling way and removing the steps that frustrate; ensuring the steps then build confidence and satisfaction.
Does this describe you and where you want to go with your career?
- You are logical and thorough in whatever you do
- You enjoy working with service processes that enable quality, such as ITIL
- You have extensive experience with Amazon AWS including many of the AWS managed services (Ideally your experience will be in AWS. Equivalent experience in another platform is acceptable.
- You are comfortable with working as part of a 24x7 operation and being on-call
- When faced with a problem or a decision you will look to be creative and to generate options that you can evaluate, before diving into solutions
- You are likely to be self-starting and adaptable to fit into the differing business cultures we encounter and rapidly build rapport and gain the confidence of others
- You can decide for yourself, but also know when to draw in the knowledge, skill and expertise of others and use the power of teamwork
- You will be able to communicate effectively and equally well in writing, verbally and using pictures to suit your audience and customer preferences
To apply you must:
- Be educated to graduate level or a professional equivalent in subjects which demonstrate a sound grasp of logic and reason
- Be a good communicator, including written and verbal communication and a good listener, with the ability to grasp complex business situations and represent them as system designs.
- Have a sound grasp of computer science, probably demonstrated by qualifications; including an understanding of analysis and design.
- Be experienced in structured problem solving; possibly by being trained and/or certified in a suitable methodology
- Be able to demonstrate leadership and management skills
Technical skills and experience
To apply you must:
- Hold 3+ years of solid Systems Administration experience
- Have strong Cloud credentials backed up by certification such as Amazon AWS Certified SysOps Administrator (Associate) or equivalent as a minimum
- Have a solid understanding of network and network security concepts and technology and experience with LAN, WAN, VPN, LB and firewall configuration
- Have experience of provisioning and administering Windows and Linux operating systems
- Have experience of provisioning and administering database systems including performance tuning and management
- Have experience of deploying applications and code. Knowledge of continuous integration and continuous delivery processes and technology
- Be able to operate the following cloud infrastructure:
- AWS Compute: EC2, ECS, Elastic Beanstalk, Lambda
- AWS Storage: S3, EBS
- AWS Networking: VPC, VPN
- AWS RDS: Aurora, Oracle, MSSQL, Dynamo.
- AWS Management: CloudWatch, CloudFormation
- AWS Security: IAM, KMS, WAF and Shield
Typically, you will be experienced with operating and managing cloud platforms and you can:
- Deploy, manage and operate scalable, highly available and fault tolerant systems
- Migrate an existing application into a cloud platform
- Implement and control the flow of data to and from the platform
- Understand and evaluate the service options based on functional and non-functional requirements, including cost to build and total cost to operate
- Understand and promote operational best practices
- Estimate usage costs and identifying operational cost control mechanisms
Ideally you will also have a good knowledge of ITIL and a foundation certification with a focus on these modules:
- Service transition
- Service operation
- Release control and validation
Preference will be given to those with experience of working as part of a team in a commercial software house within a PRINCE2 project framework and using structured methods and standards.
If you have previously been security cleared that would be advantageous and you must be prepared to undergo security clearance to the highest levels.
The role is based at Sittingbourne, Kent. You will be expected to work at other global locations from time to time as required by specific projects. All work-related travel and subsistence expenses will be paid.
A competitive benefit package depending on knowledge, skills and experience will be paid.
Hours: 35 per week. More important is to deliver results as promised and to do what is necessary to get the job done. Holiday allowance is 25 days annually, plus UK Bank Holidays.
The package includes a taxable monthly car allowance, automatic enrolment into our competitive Company Pension Scheme and, after qualifying service, Health Insurance, Life Assurance and Profit Related Pay.