Software Support Manager
Software Support Manager
Our client is a specialist software house offering a competitive base salary plus a comprehensive benefits package within a company that is making a noise in the software marketplace.
The role in summary
They are looking for a Support Manager to head their growing support team assisting the corporate and professional customer base with a wide range of software queries and product advice.
To ensure a well administered, consistent and high quality technical support service.
The role has the authority and freedom to determine the direction and content of the support services being provided, in line with the client service strategy of the business.
About you & your skills
You should already be familiar with the customer support environment and understand the importance and urgency of cases logged by customers. You will have a passion for technology and fully understand how software solutions are used to provide smart solutions and efficiencies for customers. Our client typically supports customers working in a compliance-driven profession and attention to detail is fundamental. Whilst they have a steady case load throughout the year, you will understand that the Support team must be able to cope with surges in demand driven by events such as new software updates, or perhaps Windows updates.
You will have a background in team leadership which not only involves managing the daily workload, but also requires you to manage staff skill sets and competency to maintain the high quality of service. You will be supported by a team of supervisors who in turn will look to their manager for leadership and mentoring.
Experience of reporting to senior management on the performance of your department will be important. The data feed from the Support team is valuable in managing product performance, planning for growth and also maintaining client relationships.
The ability to communicate with a wide cross-section of customers and colleagues is important to the role. Customer support is provided through a mixture of channels. Internally, the Support team has direct communication channels with every other element of the business.
Familiarity with the statutory reporting environment for UK entities would be an advantage, although deep technical knowledge about accounting and auditing is not necessarily expected.
The traditional system is deployed in a Windows network environment and proportion of clients will choose to deploy the software using thin client systems such as Citrix or RDS and an understanding of such environments would add to the attraction of a candidate.
Our client is investing significant resources in developing the next generation of software products which will be hosted on their cloud platform. The business is currently planning the support service for this environment and experience in supporting cloud products would be advantageous. You should possess the passion and drive to take the department through this exciting period of change.
To ensure a well administered, consistent and high quality technical support service is delivered to clients
The role is required to ensure the support service meets the client service strategy of the business
1. Day to day management of front line software support team:
i. Ensure that all cases and resolutions are logged on CRM system
ii. Monitor progress of cases through to resolution
iii. Maintain systems for client communication
iv. Management of staffing levels, to include authorisation of holiday and monitoring of sick leave
v. Maintain a watching brief over the Health and Safety of the staff
2. Administration and reporting:
i. Produce monthly management reports on client activity and team performance
ii. Monitoring of department performance levels on a rolling basis
iii. Liaise with the Client Services Director where an issue with a particular client may pose a threat to the relationship
iv. Liaise with QA Officer, client service and development teams concerning release and timing of software updates.
v. Liaise with the company’s Credit Control function to ensure the record of ‘live’ clients remains accurate
3. Personnel administration (in liaison with Personnel Department)
i. Approval of staff expense claims
ii. Conduct periodic staff appraisals
iii. Partake in staff recruitment selection and interviews
iv. Attendance at staff disciplinary proceedings, as required
4. Where necessary, provide direct technical support to clients
5. Provide the 1st line of referral for staff when there is a client complaint
6. Management and administration of web-based support tools, including KnowledgeBase, voicemail, GoToAssist, KB chat and Sharefile
7. Ensure administrative systems are effective and being applied.
i. For existing systems (e.g. existing CRM system)
ii. For future development (e.g. Internet knowledge base, Chat, Forum)
8. Ensure urgent technical bulletins and product updates are accurate and released in good time.
9. Monitoring and identification of personnel training requirements and liaison with the training team, including establishing a training plan for the development of junior staff.
10. Promote a professional and courteous approach to dealing with customers and maintaining client relationships.
11. Liaise with the company’s Disaster Recovery Team to ensure that the Support service is adequately represented.
1. From time to time, attendance may be required at client sites and other external events held by the company
2. To become fully conversant with the company’s software and templates
3. To become fully conversant with the installation processes and technical specifications relating to the company’s software products
4. To maintain a high standard of knowledge commensurate with the requirements of the job
Other administrative and technical tasks that may arise in the general course of business.