Apprentice Teaching Assistant
Stella Marris is a happy, family school that was judged to be “Good” in every category by Ofsted in October 2017 and was described as “a joyful learning community” in its RE inspection in May 2015. We are a one-form entry Catholic primary school, with children drawn from all over Folkestone and Cheriton. The intake is truly comprehensive, representing the full range of social background and prior attainment.
On 1st of January 2015 we became a convector Academy as part of the Kent Catholic Schools Partnership.
We offer an exciting; stimulating curriculum and staff enjoy some outstanding CPD opportunities. We are lucky enough to be set in beautiful surroundings, with our own playing fields, adventure playground and picnic area, in spite of being close to Folkestone Town Centre. We have a warm, welcoming ethos, a problem-solving approach and high expectations.
- Work with individuals or small groups of pupils in the classroom under the direct supervision of teaching staff and provide feedback to the teacher
- Support pupils to understand instructions support independent learning and inclusion of all pupils
- Support the teacher in behaviour management and keeping pupils on task
- Support pupils in social and emotional well-being, reporting problems to the teacher as appropriate
- Prepare and clear up learning environment and resources, including photocopying, filing and the display and presentation of pupils work and contribute to maintaining a safe environment
- Be aware of and comply with all school policies and procedures. Particular attention must be given to those practices relating to child protection, health, safety, security and confidentiality reporting all concerns to an appropriate person to ensure pupil’s wellbeing
- Contribute to the overall work/aims of the school and appreciate and support the role of colleagues and other professionals to enable the school fulfil its development plans etc.
- Undertake training and other learning activities and attend relevant meetings (within contracted hours) as required to ensure own continuing professional
- Any other duties as the Headteacher may from time to time require
In addition Teaching Assistants in this role will undertake some or all of the following:
- Record basic pupil data
- Support children’s learning through play
- Assist with break-time and lunchtime supervision including facilitating games and activities
- Assist with escorting pupils on educational visits
- Support pupils in using basic ICT
- Invigilate exams and tests
- Assist pupils with eating, dressing and hygiene, as required, whilst encouraging independence
- Cover and deliver lessons planned by the class teacher
Monday – Friday
08.45 am – 15.15pm
Term time only
Plus 5 staff development days
GCSE Maths and English or equivalent Level 2 Qualification.
- A commitment to providing the best possible learning opportunities to our student and promote independence to the best of each learners ability
- Team player but able to use own initiative.
- Patient with a good sense of humour
- Punctual Attendance
- Committed to Role
On the job training with the employer whilst working towards the Apprenticeship Framework - consisting of the Intermediate NVQ Level, Technical Certificate and Functional Skills if appropriate.
Regular work based assessments/observations carried out by Kent Training & Apprenticeships Tutor Assessor, to determine competency and meet with Awarding Body standards.