Apprentice Team Leader/Supervisor
Total Ship Services are a shipping, stevedoring, warehousing and distribution company.
Mainly discharging shipments of steel products and timber from ships into warehouses and open storage areas, some repackaging and reloading to transport for onward delivery to customers.
Description of Vacancy
Opportunity to join the company at a Supervisory level with the subsequent intention of rising through the Management structure following the company’s succession policy.
The candidate will shadow current Managers and Supervisors gaining an understanding of all aspects of the company’s operations, procedures and standards and developing them as the programme progresses.
Please see responsibilities section for overview.
The full list will depend on how the candidate adapts to the different aspects of the roles and which direction is best suited / chosen but will include –
Health & Safety – Risk Assessments, Safe Systems of Work, Unsafe Acts and Situations, Site Inspections, Accident Investigation.
Finance – Contracts, orders, analysis, invoices, budgets, statistics, procurement.
Resources – Labour internal and external, Mechanical Handling Equipment, Personal Protective Equipment, Operational gear.
Cargo – Stock input, reporting, checking, analysis.
Operations – Vessel discharge planning, cargo lay out planning, work overseeing, activity analysis.
Ships Agency – Booking pilots and locks, Ship’s pre-arrival documentation, Disbursement Accounts, Vessel Chartering, Ship’s husbandry, Crew changes.
As Apprenticeship progresses –
- Manage individual’s performance and development.
- Encourage innovation.
- Implement change.
- Manage a project.
- Collaborate with other departments.
- Develop working relationships with customers.
- HR systems.
- Data management.
- Understand and manage conflict, discipline and grievance.
- In depth performance analysis.
- Develop and deliver a presentation.
- Lead meetings.
- Understand and resolve customers problems and complaints.
- Help promote equality, diversion and inclusion in the workplace.
This list is not exhaustive and will be adapted to the candidates and the company’s requirements.
Monday to Friday 0900hrs to 1700hrs
One hour paid lunch break.
Please be advised that the hours will need an element of flexibility to coincide with ships discharging and the general business needs.
Some overtime may be offered/needed.
- Confidence in dealing with peers and customers, particularly communication in all forms.
- Ability to work using own initiative.
- Strong team member.
- Problem solver.
- Able to prioritize.
- Good planner
- Strong computer skills particularly Microsoft Office.
- Self motivator.
- Total understanding and acceptance of everything Health & Safety.
- Good listener.
- Desire to continually learn and improve.
A* to C - GCSE Maths and English and three other subjects or equivalent qualifications.
IT Functional Skills pass.
On the job training with the employer whilst working towards the Apprenticeship Framework - consisting of the Intermediate NVQ Level, Technical Certificate and Functional Skills if appropriate.
Regular work based assessments/observations carried out by Kent Training & Apprenticeships Tutor Assessor, to determine competency and meet with Awarding Body standards.