Apprentice Administration and Accounts Assistant (Level 2/Intermediate)
The Special Carrier provide Transport Solutions within the international freight industry.
We operate a fleet of dedicated express vehicles exclusively for the Special Freight Market, which means that two days will never be the same. For example, we could be delivering an entire costume department to a movie set or urgent aircraft parts for a grounded plane in Europe or perhaps a lorry load of band equipment for a concert, anything needed somewhere urgently, we are always there, 24/7.
Working at the Special Carrier can be very demanding at times but is also extremely interesting and rewarding.
Description of Vacancy
This is a Special Apprenticeship with the Special Carrier.
To begin with, you will work alongside the Administration Manager to learn how the business works. You will help support the smooth running of the business and become an integral part of the team. During your apprenticeship you will gain an understanding of all administration areas, interact with your colleagues at every level, as well as customers and suppliers. You will need excellent communication skills and a good level of concentration as the office can be busy at times with lots going on around you. A good sense of humour is also essential. It’s not about the job you need know, it’s about who you want to be and where you want to go. The great thing about working with us is that you don’t have to leave to move on. We have the kind of environment where people learn and thrive and be the best they can be.
Supported by the Administration Manager, you will learn and assist with the following responsibilities:
- Assisting in arranging the Personnel in a good and concise order
- Maintaining and collating all necessary information to ensure the Personnel is up to date
- Processing and Uploading documentation
- Preparing the fuel cards and toll cards for the drivers and keeping a daily record updated
- Handling of the night safe and recording the expenditure
- Enabling all petty cash to be allocated to the correct driver and job
- Processing of new drivers and collating all relevant information together with the necessary documentation and distribute the relevant letters
- Learning how to manage the holiday and leave required by the Drivers ensuring they are authorised and recorded correctly in all aspects.
- Supporting the Administration Manager with the accounts side of the business by passing relevant invoices
- Learning how to process invoices to our clients
- Communicate when necessary to customers or suppliers either by telephone or email.
- Preparing and following up all necessary regulations with regard to Human Resources with the assistance of the Administration Manager
- Maintaining the office calendar entries and keeping a close eye on expiry dates of certificates or licences.
- Preparing and recording of all annual forms. Ensuring that the drivers have signed and returned these forms
- Speaking and dealing with our Drivers on a daily basis ensuring that they have all documentation and information they need.
- Ordering and recording of uniform stock
Supporting the Administration Manager to carry out all duties.
Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5.30pm
with 1 hour for lunch unpaid
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Fast learner with a desire to do well and progress
- Ability to work well in a team and happy to work alone
- Strong attention to detail
- High level of accuracy with excellent organisational skills
- Driven and positive
- Good time management and prioritising the work load
- Ability to manage stress
- You will be a highly motivated person with professional and welcoming manner
- The ability to priorities tasks and workloads whilst displaying organisational skills is essential
- Someone who is organised and computer literate
- You must have a responsible attitude and the ability to work as part of a team
- Confident, positive outlook with a can-do attitude
- High energy initiative and motivated to succeed and learn
GCSE grade 3-9 (A* to D) inclusive of Maths and English or equivalent qualifications in these subjects.
On the job training with the employer whilst working towards the Apprenticeship Framework – consisting of the Intermediate NVQ Level, Technical Certificate and Functional Skills if appropriate.
Regular work based assessments/observations carried out by Kent Training & Apprenticeships Tutor Assessor, to determine competency and meet with Awarding Body standards.