KCC Road Crossing Patrol (full or part time or job share considered)
Required as soon as possible a Road Crossing Patrol to work 38 weeks per year. Hours that require covering are approximately 8.00am-8.40am and 2.50pm-3.10pm Monday-Friday, however, part time or a job share will be considered.
The successful applicant will be paid within Kent Scheme Grade KR2, which is £15,627 for a full time appointment, and will be pro rata for part-time hours.
This School and all its personnel are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young persons. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Closing date: Friday 30 November 2018 @ midday
How to Apply
Applications for this post should be made online only using the application form. CVs will not be accepted. Applications form available from our website.
Purpose of the Job:
To ensure the safety of pedestrians crossing the road at a designated School Crossing Patrol site between specified times of day. To ensure that traffic flows are not unnecessarily hindered whilst performing these duties.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- To safely perform the operation of a School Crossing Patrol according to Kent County Councils’ policies and procedures; including all Health and Safety and Child Safeguarding procedures.
- To correctly use the uniform and equipment, in accordance with the legal requirement, to ensure the safety of themselves, pedestrians, and drivers, including hazard warning lights where provided.
- Maintain control over pedestrians who are awaiting instructions to cross the road at a designated school crossing site, ensuring that they do not enter the road before traffic has been halted.
- To ensure that pedestrians are safely on the footway before indicating to traffic to proceed.
- Report any problems with the operation of the patrol and/or the highway environment that may be deemed a risk to the safe operation of the School Crossing Patrol e.g. vegetation, potholes and obstructions (including temporary road works).
- Monitor any incidents and inappropriate behavior at the site, reporting any issues as per Kent County Council’s policy and procedures.
- To complete all practical on-site, online and attendance at facilitated training as required.
Footnote: This job description is provided to assist the job holder to know what his/her main duties are. It may be amended from time to time without change to the level of responsibility appropriate to the grade of post.
Kent County Council
Person Specification: School Crossing Patrol
The following outlines the criteria for this post. Applicants who have a disability and who meet the criteria will be shortlisted.
Applicants should describe in their application how they meet these criteria.
- Level 1 in literacy
- Experience of working with children and/or the public
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Good communication skills
- Good understanding of road use and traffic awareness
- Understanding of the highway environment and related features e.g. signs, lines and other aspects of the Highway Code.
- Computer literate and have email access
- Basic safeguarding awareness.
Truth and judgement:
- Be truthful, honest and realistic.
- Open to new ideas and welcome challenge on how you do things
Character and courage
- Work to find positive solutions, be creative
- Be proud of the work we do as one council, delivering positive outcomes
Outcomes and delivery
- Be clear of what has got to be achieved, keep the end goal in mind and share knowledge of best practice.
People and partnerships
- Team player and customer-focused at all times.
Tools and professionalism
- Speak and act professionally at all times and ensure that knowledge and skills are kept up to date