Graphic Designer (Medway) - Maternity Cover
Application deadline: 23:59, Tuesday 19th October
Interviews: w/c Monday 25th October
Hours: 14 hours / two days a week
Salary: £22,357-£24,076 pro-rata
Location: Mainly Universty of Greenwich Medway campus
Greenwich Students' Union (GSU) are looking for a Graphic Designer to join the team for maternity cover for one year at our Medway campus. You will have a proven track record of working with a team to define design requirements for a range of actives and initiatives. You will be able to work within brand guidelines and produce multi-media designs to appeal to students and stakeholders, to deadline and on budget. If you have a creative flair and a strong ability to translate requirements into design, you can communicate well and work methodically as part of a team, we’d like to meet you.
Role Purpose: The post holder will work as part of the Greenwich Students' Union team at The Hub on the Medway campus developing a range of promotional materials across a range of channels and mediums including web, print, digital, vinyl prints, banners and online campaigns. The individual will promote a wide range of union services, primarily focusing on our non-commercial services, but also promoting our student bar.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. GRAPHIC AND WEBSITE DESIGN
- To create a range of promotional materials for all GSU’s commercial, non-commercial and corporate services.
- To design advertising materials using a number of different mediums including print, plasma, banners, online and vinyl.
- To develop new brand concepts for events on campus such as the Medfest and Welcome Week.
- To work alongside the GSU team to promote high profile events and activities on campus.
- To create targeted communications for different student groups on the Medway campus
- To develop and protect the GSU brand and associated identities.
- Helping establish and improve the functionality and student experience on the GSU website.
- Supporting with minor website design including copy edits and basic functionality of GSU website, giving guidance on layouts and styles.
- Supporting the development of online campaigns and initiatives to drive traffic to the site.
2. OFFICE DUTIES
- To liaise with a range of suppliers to place orders and keep track of materials.
- To regularly update the online workflow system with progress against specific jobs.
- To aid in the evaluation of marketing efforts and tracking of campaign progress.
- To help in the planning and implementation of key events in the GSU calendar.
3. FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the Marketing & Experience Manager with managing the Marketing budget to ensure campaigns are delivered on budget.
- To be responsible for the security of all resources including stock and cash, and to follow all GK Unions’ financial procedures
4. OTHER DUTIES
- Participate in person at Union wide events to aid where required (e.g. Elections, Varsity, Welcome/Freshers)
- Maintain awareness of other organisations’ relevant activities, and of developments in the various relevant sectors
- Work with other SU staff, University staff and external organisations as required.
- Contribute to the positive image of the SU with students, the University and the local community
- Adhere to the SU Constitution, policies and procedures at all times
- Attend appropriate meetings as and when required
- Undertake other tasks and responsibilities, compatible with the level and nature of the post
- Always adhere to and support the SU Health and Safety and Equal Opportunities policies
- Represent and be an ambassador for the SU at internal and external events
- Be flexible and carry out other associated duties as may arise, develop or be assigned in line with the broad remit of the position
- Maintain and improve competencies through continuous professional development
- Abide by organisational policies, codes of conduct and practices
- Support and promote diversity and equality of opportunity in the workplace
- Treat with confidentiality any personal, private or sensitive information about individual organisations and or clients or staff and Project data
- Any other duties commensurate with the accountabilities of the post
Essential skills and experience:
- GCSE Maths and English or equivalent
- Relevant degree level qualification
- An in-depth understanding of graphic design
- Suitable experience of developing both print ready and digital graphics for web design
- Experience of developing design work to engage effectively with diverse target audiences
- Knowledge of various web design software and graphic design packages i.e. Adobe Creative Suite
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to relate to and communicate effectively with people at all levels
- Understanding or interest in the marketing or advertising industry, marketing practice and design trends
- Ability to manage a complex workflow and deliver on time and within budget.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Experience of working across a range of marketing mediums including web, print, outdoor
- Experience of working within a marketing department or graphic design team
- Experience of coordinating print work with external suppliers
- Able to travel between campuses where required
- Able to work some evenings and weekends and stay overnight where necessary
- Works well in a team with a flexible approach to work
- Commitment to anti-discriminatory practice and equal opportunities and an ability to apply awareness of diversity issues to all areas of work
- Commitment to the values and ethos of the SU