APPRENTICE TEACHING ASSISTANT (LEVEL 3/ADVANCED)
The TIMU Academy Trust is made up of two schools, Bobbing Village and Iwade School, both are based in Sittingbourne, Kent. Iwade School is a three form entry school and Bobbing School is a one form entry school.
Currently rated by Ofsted as Good (Iwade) and Outstanding (Bobbing). Each school has its own individual characteristics and sits at the centre of their community.
Both schools are geographically near each other and so the staff are easily able to work closely together which they do with great effect “Together Everyone Achieves More”.
TIMU means “team” in Swahili, a word which represents how we work at all levels within and across the schools.
Within the trust, we recognise everyone as an individual and we nurture, value and develop them. We aim to achieve the highest standards in all that we do and to have happy children and staff, eager and excited to come to school.
We work in collaboration with other schools and organisations seeking the best innovative practice in teaching, sharing new ideas and learning from others. We use research as a springboard for change.
We strive to make our schools even better, recruiting the very best to meet the needs of a changing world. We foster a positive attitude which allows everyone to develop new skills, build resilience and achieve their dreams.
TIMU Academy Trust is committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Description of vacancy
TIMU Academy Trust (Iwade School and Bobbing School) has an opportunity for an Apprentice Teaching Assistant to join our dedicated team.
This is a part-time temporary appointment, to undertake an apprenticeship working 30 hours a week, (8:30 - 3:15), term time only (38 weeks and 2 days per year). Pay will be the National Minimum Wage for apprentices, which is currently £4.15 per hour.
We aim for all TIMU children to become successful lifelong learners and are looking for someone that shares our ethos, someone who is passionate, motivated and enthusiastic about helping children to realise their potential by supporting and encouraging them to reach their full potential through one-to-one work, group work and whole class support.
• Provide teaching support in small groups and where necessary be assigned to individual pupils in order to aid the teacher,
• Liaise with the teacher to understand the objectives of each session,
• Assist the teacher with observations and monitoring of the progress of children, both educationally and socially,
• Keep up to date written records for supported pupils,
• Promote positive behaviour patterns, raise self-esteem, and improve independent working in children to assist their education and growth,
• Supervise in PE lessons and at playtime to ensure the safety of the children and administer first aid as required,
• Participate and supervise pupils during off site activities,
• Make materials and resources for teachers or pupils as directed by the class teacher, and assist where necessary with mounting of work and displays,
• Assist where necessary with preparation and clearing away of the classroom and materials to ensure effective teaching,
• To undertake playground duties,
• To attend meetings with members of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT),
• To attend training sessions as requested by SLT,
• To undertake any other duties as directed by SLT.
The ideal candidate will have:
• a good standard of education together with good numeracy and literacy skills
• English and Maths GCSE grade 4/C or above (or equivalent) for both.
• some classroom experience
• excellent interpersonal skills and a be good team player
• good communication skills
• Good time keeping and of smart appearance.
TIMU Academy Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. This post is subject to references and an Enhanced Disclosure Application to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
In cases where we receive a high volume of applications for a post, we may bring the closing date forward. Therefore you are advised to submit your completed application form as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
£4.30 per hour (30 hours per week, term time only)
Monday – Friday
8.30 – 3.15
15 min tea break (AM) unpaid
30 min lunch break (unpaid)
20% paid time during working hours is given to complete training, referred to as “Off the Job Training”
Personable and able to communicate well.
Good time keeping and of smart appearance.
English and Maths GCSE grade 4/C or above (or equivalent) for both.
Some classroom experience
On the job training with the employer whilst working towards the Apprenticeship Framework – consisting of the Intermediate NVQ Level, Technical Certificate and Functional Skills if appropriate.
Regular work based assessments/observations carried out by Kent Training & Apprenticeships Tutor Assessor, to determine competency and meet with Awarding Body standards.
The employer has asked that you do not contact them direct. Doing so could jeopardise your application. You will be responsible for your travel expenses to and from your place of work. Therefore, you must have the means to get to your place of work on a daily basis whilst waiting for your first wages to be paid.
KT&A: Kent Training & Apprenticeships are part of Kent County Council and are a leading training organisation with nearly 30 years successful experience. KT&A specialise in high quality work-based training, delivered by qualified staff with personal experience of working in the skill area they teach.