Site Name and Location
Maidstone Business Improvement District (BID)
40 hours per week
Purpose of the Role
A Business Improvement District (BID) is a defined geographic area within which businesses opt (via a ballot) to provide services for their business community to support improvements to the overall trading environment in which they all operate. One Maidstone BID started its journey in September 2018 with a 5 year plan over
which time to generate £2.3 investment in the Tow Centre.
The BID goes to ballot in July 2023 to secure a further 5 year term. Upon a successful renewal, the Chief
Executive role will become permanent.
The Chief Executive will provide strategic and operational management for Maidstone BID, engaging with key
stakeholders, including levy payers, non-levy papers within the BID area, Public Authorities, Borough and
County Councils, community and charity organisations.
Responsible to the BID board for the delivery of the business plan and to manage contract delivery against
SLA’s, KPI’s and budgets. The will identify opportunities for the betterment of the BID area and report these to
1. Lead the organisation, internally and externally.
2. Proactively seek opportunities to extend the scope of delivery; build external relationships.
3. Manage the operational team to ensure effective and efficient delivery of the Company’s objectives, as
agreed by the Board.
4. Ensure management of office and staff is conducted in accordance with the Company’s approved
management systems and protocols.
5. Work alongside and in cooperation with the Company’s management consultants.
6. Ensure that the Chair and Directors are briefed on operational activities, (including opportunities and
threats) weekly/fortnightly, either by way of face-to-face meetings, telephone calls or e-mails where
7. Provide updates on all matters of consequence to the Chair (and to the Board where appropriate).
8. Arrange for, attend and contribute to Board meetings.
9. Monitor and manage performance of the Company against overall Business Plan and annual
10. Manage and/or oversee all projects delivered by the Company ensuring time and budget targets are
11. Promote the Company to stakeholders.
12. Work with the Company’s PR consultants to ensure appropriate messages about the Company’s
activities and achievements are delivered.
13. Be the operational point of contact for relevant partners, and work to coordinate the aims of the
Company with other appropriate initiatives.
14. Safeguard the financial position of the BID to ensure that performance is in-line with approved budgets
and cash flow forecasts.
15. Take a lead on the generation of non-core income.
16. Oversee contractual and payment arrangements in respect of appointed contractors and suppliers.
17. Identify and pursue new opportunities for extending the range, benefits and income of the Company.
18. Pursue a strategy of continuous professional development.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as
necessitated by your changing role within the organisation.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Senior leadership experience.
- Evidence of commercial acumen and experience of small business management.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision under the leadership of a board and in close cooperation with
- Evidence of direct management of staff and/or contractors.
- Ability to manage complex relationships with partners.
- Proven tenacious leadership style.
- Proven negotiation skills at strategic and operational levels in both public and private sectors to
achieve partnership working towards common goals.
- Ability to work with professionalism and integrity at all times.
- Knowledge of Maidstone and BIDs.
- Degree level education (or equivalent) or an appropriate professional qualification in a relevant
- Visual presentation skills.
- Knowledge of political and economic conditions of retail, leisure and licensed businesses.
- Project management experience.
The candidate attributes detailed above are considered to be non essential although training will be provided on more technical aspects of the role.
To apply email: email@example.com please include CV.
Employee Signature: Date: